#2. Awful vole problem

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

#2. Awful vole problem

Postby vasummer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm reporting back from a previous post. I had read that trying kitty litter might work by pouring some into the vole holes. I tried it, but regrettably it didn't even make them flinch and more holes appeared throughout the summer. I spread the litter around the plants themselves too. Recently I read something that sounds logical and may do the trick. There is a product that deters voles that is used at time of planting. It is granular I believe. Does anyone know what that would be?

I've also read that adding medium-size rough gravel to the bottom of a plant hole discourages voles from feeding on the roots. They would have to dig through the rough stone. Personally, the thought of adding dynamite to the hole to blow up the little varmits feels the most satisfying! :lol:
vasummer

Re: #2. Awful vole problem

Postby lorijones » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Espoma makes a product called Soil Perfector which can be used as a vole deterrent. VoleBloc from the manufacturers of Permatil can also be used. Here are a few tips on how to use it in the garden: http://inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=253.
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: #2. Awful vole problem

Postby vasummer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for your reply, however, I'm not understanding some of the wording on how to use Soil Protector. Here's the sentence that's unclear to me:

Set the root ball on the Soil Perfector and backfill completely surrounding the roots with 100% Espoma Soil Perfector.

Can you reword this? I'm thinking you mean backfill with the Soil Protector. None of the original soil??? And "surrounding the roots" is unclear also. What does Soil Protector look like? Is it coarse?

Many of these products are expensive and almost cost prohibitive if the perennial bed is large. Couldn't I just use a jagged, coarse aggregate at the bottom of the hole and then around the outer edge of the hole; pour in the original soil and fertilizers, etc., and lastly mulch around the plant stem with the rock. How's that? That has to be a lot less expensive. I'd sure appreciate your comments.
vasummer

Return to Voles and Moles