burned dayllily leaves

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

burned dayllily leaves

Postby stchr » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:12 pm

I am in Toano, Virginia. We had an unusually warm start to our winter. As a result by blueberries bloomed, my peonies started to come up as did my dayllilies. Some of my daylilies never really went dormant. I covered the daylilies and peonies with pine straw but the daylilies grew almost 6 inches. Now the leaves are burned and chewed. Can I cut the leaves back to the ground now or leave them alone?
stchr

Re: burned dayllily leaves

Postby lorijones » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Yes it would be fine to cut the damaged foliage of your daylilies back. You can cut them right to the ground. The "chewed" leaves are probably a result of freeze damage rather than damage from a chewing pest. Recover the plants with the pine straw after you trim them back.
lorijones
Site Admin

Postby bevhov1945@gmail.com » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Me too. This warm winter then hard freeze was very damaging. I have a lot of day lilies do I absolutely need to cut them back?
bevhov1945@gmail.com

Postby lorijones » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:01 am

You don't necessarily need to cut the foliage back. It will put up new foliage later in the spring. The damaged foliage should eventually turn brown and can be pulled off later if you wish. Cutting the damaged foliage back just makes the garden look better.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Maintenance & Propagating