Allium Bulbs - Spring planting

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting perennials or bulbs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Allium Bulbs - Spring planting

Postby JosieBott » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:01 am

I just purchased allium bulbs at Giant Food store and there are no planting times on the packaging. Every website I searched talks of fall planting which begs the question...may I plant them this Spring? And if so...now or after the danger of frost is over. Will they bloom this year?
JosieBott

Re: Allium Bulbs - Spring planting

Postby lorijones » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Allium bulbs are generally sold in the fall along with the other spring blooming bulbs. I'm surprised that they had them for sale this spring. I would get them in the ground right now. They probably will not bloom this spring unless they were pre-chilled. Plant them according tot he label directions. Maybe you will get lucky and they will bloom.
lorijones
Site Admin

Postby JosieBott » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for the advice. I planted them today and will let you know how it goes.
JosieBott

Postby oafaodat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:46 pm

I would like to plant bulbs in the ground this is my first time. I have soil, miracle gro soil and fertilizer. is this all I need? how deep do I plant the bulbs?
oafaodat

Postby lorijones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am

Here are some general tips for planting bulbs: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=637.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Planting and Transplanting