Holding bulbs over winter

Post here if you have questions about growing perennials and bulbs, including fertilizing or selecting
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Holding bulbs over winter

Postby CarolN » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:50 pm

I just received a gift of daffodil bulbs and irises. Problem is, in the spring I'm doing a major overhaul on the section of the garden where they would be planted. I have a cold room that is dark and has a temperature range of 36-50, depending on the outdoor temps. Can I hold them there until the garden is ready?
CarolN

Re: Holding bulbs over winter

Postby lorijones » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 am

It depends on when the garden will be ready. We have planted daffodil bulbs as late as April or even May. They will flower late (obviously) or maybe not at all the first season but they should be okay if they are kept in your cold room. The iris should be okay as well.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Growing Perennials & Bulbs