Limbing-up native dogwood

Post here if you have questions about when and how to prune trees and shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Limbing-up native dogwood

Postby pwdean » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Can I remove the lower limbs of a native dogwood and loblolly pine now? The trees are over twenty feet tall and I would like to raise the clearance under the trees. If not when is the proper time to do so.
pwdean

Re: Limbing-up native dogwood

Postby lorijones » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:32 am

Since dogwoods are "bleeders", the best time to prune them is in late fall or early winter or in mid summer. You should wait until late winter or early spring (before growth begins) to prune the lower branches of the pine.
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Limbing-up native dogwood

Postby Martym » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:45 am

We just cut 5 to 8 large branches off our nice, very big, dogwood at the end of June, as I did not know it should be done in different season becaus of sap. Now I need to find out if we need to do something to protect the dogwood.
Martym

Return to Pruning Trees and Shrubs