nemotodes in my herb beds

Post here if you have questions on specific insecticides
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

nemotodes in my herb beds

Postby swananddrake » Wed May 13, 2015 9:30 am

I think I have a problem with nemotodes. While pulling up my dead lemon verbena, I noticed a thread-like insect moving through the soil. I also noticed "knots" on the roots. I looked on the internet, and I think I identified it as a nemotode. Any ideas and solutions?
Thanks,
Bonnie :D
swananddrake

Re: nemotodes in my herb beds

Postby lorijones » Thu May 21, 2015 4:37 pm

It sounds like you have 2 different things in your soil. The knots on the roots are likely from root knot nematodes, however, most nematodes are microscopic and you would generally not be able to see them with the naked eye. I'm not sure what the "thread-like" critter would be. Nematodes are difficult to control. One product, Neptune's Harvest Crab Shell, can be used to help get rid of them in your soil. Here's how it works (from Neptune's Harvest):
Crab Shell is high in Chitin (Kite-en), which promotes the growth of Chitin eating bacteria in the soil. It will help eliminate Ants, Grubs, Fungus and Root Nematodes, because they are all Chitin based in structure.

The crab shell can be top dressed or worked into the soil according to the label directions. Here is a link for the product: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/cs-604.html
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Insecticides