Gardenia

Post here if you have insect problems on your houseplants or tropical plants
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Gardenia

Postby Nelly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:17 am

Please help me save my Gardenia!
I have had it for 2 years and it is my third. They all do the same. The leaves turn yellowish, lose their dark green colour and their shiny aspect. I have tried everuthing I could think of. I put it on an ice tray which I always fill with water. I water it once a week thoroughly, letting the water drain from the pot. I put coniferous plants fertilizer as I have read it's good for Gardenia also and Epsom salt too. I bought acid flower soil and repotted it in the spring. Afterwards it rewarded me woth a flower and now it looks like it's dying, the same as the other two. My apartment has windows towards the East and the West. At first I put it in the living room (East) it seemd ok for a while but then the leaves began to lose the green in them. I moved it to the kitchen (East also) as I thought the humidity from coking would be good for it. No change in better! So I moved it to the west side to the bedroom window I have put it in the sun, I have put it behind the curtain, I have put it in the shadow. I have tried everything I could think of. The thing is I made one a present to somebody a few years ago and she told me that her flower is now a big shrub. I have asked how she cares for it and she said she only waters it and doesn't do anything special and what haven't I tried in order to have it sain and beautiful?!
Can you please help me save my gardenia?
Nelly

Re: Gardenia

Postby lorijones » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:28 pm

It is possible that you are overwatering your gardenia. Gardenias grow best in a well draining soil. It should not be constantly wet - they hate wet feet. You should let the top few inches of the soil dry out between waterings.
Your gardenia could also be suffering from an iron deficiency. I would feed it with an acid fertilizer that contains iron like Espoma Iron-tone. This should help to green up the leaves.
Be careful not to over-fertilize the plant as this can lead to a salt buildup and the soil can become more alkaline.
Check for pests like aphids, white fly, scale, and mealybugs.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Tropicals & Houseplants