Peach Tree Leaf Curl

Post here if you have insect problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Peach Tree Leaf Curl

Postby CarolN » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm in Dutchess County, NY. I think I have leaf curl. I understand the treatment is to spray with a fungicide, but I would like to know what time of year is best.
Thanks,
Carol
Attachments
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG (606.87 KiB) Viewed 448 times
CarolN

Re: Peach Tree Leaf Curl

Postby lorijones » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 pm

This does look like leaf curl but it may also be damage from aphids. To be sure, uncurl some of the leaves to see if you see any aphids on any of the leaves. Their damage is similar to leaf curl. If it turns out that you have aphids, you can spray Bonide Eight or Bonide Fruit Tree Spray according to the label directions.

To control leaf curl, you must spray a fungicide like chlorothalonil (Bonide Fung-onil or Daconil) during the dormant period. It is best to do this in the late fall or early winter after the leaves drop and again in the early spring but it MUST be sprayed before buds begin to swell in the spring. Once the buds begin to swell, it is too late to control it. Spray according to the label directions and coat all surfaces of the branches. This disease is more common during cool, wet springs.
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Peach Tree Leaf Curl

Postby CarolN » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks. I'll check for aphids today. I have fungonil and will spray when suggested uf that is the problem
CarolN

Return to Fruits & Berries