Overwintering plants - pests

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Overwintering plants - pests

Postby tdifurio » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:06 am

I was listening to your morning show today. I heard a bit about overwintering plants and how to clean up the dirt from plants - how to kill any potential insects in the plants with a solution of bleach and???

1. I missed the amounts of the solution for watering to kill the potential insects in the plants. I am in the midst of bringing in about 10 large hybiscus and would love to know how to rid them of insects in the dirt.

2. Also, do I want to fertilize them .. they have not been fertilized in months .. they look a bit dreary. I was told that Fish fertilizer was very good for them.

Thank you!
tdifurio

Re: Overwintering plants - pests

Postby lorijones » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:17 pm

The Clorox solution is for dipping bare root plants not for watering potted plants!

The Clorox solution (1part Clorox to 20 parts water) that Andre mentioned was just for dipping elephant ear bulbs and other tropical bulbs and tubers that you dig and store "bare root" over the winter, not for treating potted tropical plants that you are overwintering in the pots.
There are two ways to overwinter your tropical hibiscus, as a houseplant in the warm house or in a dormant or semi-dormant condition in a frost-free garage or basement. Here's a tip from our website explaining each method: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=659. The Bayer Advanced plant spikes mentioned in this article will take care of insects on the plants over the winter and they also contain a slow release fertilizer that will feed the plant through the winter when you follow the label directions. Neptune's Harvest makes some great fish and seaweed fertilizers for plants.
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Overwintering plants - pests

Postby flued10 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 am

tdifurio wrote:I was listening to your morning show today. I heard a bit about overwintering plants and how to clean up the dirt from plants - how to kill any potential insects in the plants with a solution of bleach and???

1. I missed the amounts of the solution for watering to kill the potential insects in the plants. I am in the midst of bringing in about 10 large hybiscus and would love to know how to rid them of insects in the dirt.

2. Also, do I want to fertilize them .. they have not been fertilized in months .. they look a bit dreary. I was told that Fish fertilizer was very good for them.

Thank you!

Hello
I think the easiest way to prevent insect damage in your garden is to discourage them from coming in the first place. A healthy garden is the best defense.
Pull out any weak plants. They may already be infected. If not, they will attract predators. Pull the plant and dispose of it away from the garden area.

Build healthy, organic soil. Natural composting methods, mulching and top-dressing your soil with compost or natural fertilizer is the best way to develop strong, vigorous plants.

Seaweed mulch or spray. Seaweed contains trace elements such as iron, zinc, barium, calcium, sulfur, and magnesium, which promotes healthy development in plants. Seaweed fertilizer in mulch or spray form will enhance growth and give plants the strength to withstand disease. Seaweed mulch also repels slugs.

To know more visit here: http://www.hometermitecontrolsydney.com.au
flued10

Return to General Questions