No more hosta leaves!

Post here if you have disease problems with perennials or bulbs.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

No more hosta leaves!

Postby Rosemary » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:50 pm

I have tons of white flies on my hostas. I've sprayed many times alternatively with copper fungacide and Bonide All Season Oil Spray. I had two mounds of hostas left in the backyard yesterday. When I came home from work this afternoon, they were gone. I only have stems left along with flowers. Should I cut the flower stems off? I Don't know with all the leaves off if the plant will die.
I have more hostas in the front of the house which I've sprayed as well. All the leaves are still present TODAY. What else should I do? I have never had whiteflies this bad.
Help!
I'm located in southeastern Virginia
Thanks for your input.
Rosemary

Re: No more hosta leaves!

Postby lorijones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm sorry you have such a problem with whiteflies on your hosta, however, I don't think they were what resulted in the loss of the leaves. I am more suspicious that deer or another herbivore came through while you were at work and munched off all the hosta foliage. At this point, I would cut the flower stems back and also cut everything back that was "chewed" off to make clean cuts with your shears. The hosta should be fine and should eventually put up fresh foliage. You may want to try using a deer repellent like Bobbex. Many of our customers have had good success with it.
Since the All Seasons Oil didn't control the whitefly, you can apply Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose & Flower Care or Bonide Eight according to the label directions. It may take several applications to completely get rid of them. They are not easy to control. The copper fungicide will not work to control them because it is a fungicide.

If the foliage on your other hosta are very damaged by the whitefly, it may be a good idea to cut them back as well and throw the foliage in a plastic bag and discard it in the trash.
lorijones
Site Admin

Postby Rosemary » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Thank you for the reply. I would of never thought deer since I live in a small town with many houses around me. My hostas in the front of the house have not been touched (by deer). The white fly population has finally been reduced to just a few here and there. I did cut all my hosta back that was eaten.
Thanks again
Rosemary

Postby SandyL » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 pm

last summer all of my brussel sprout plants were attacked by white flies...I tried everything to no avail.I have never had these pesty buggers before. How do I avoid this problem this coming summer?
SandyL

Return to Perennials and Bulbs