Plant ID

Post here if you have disease problems with your tropicals or houseplants.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Plant ID

Postby CarolN » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 am

Hi, Dutchess County, NY here.

Can you identify this plant?

Thanks,
Carol
Attachments
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG (89.07 KiB) Viewed 859 times
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG (104.84 KiB) Viewed 859 times
CarolN

Re: Plant ID

Postby lorijones » Mon May 11, 2015 11:01 am

Mark Viette gave the following response:
From what I could see in the pictures this plant is one of the Alocasias. There are hundreds of different types of varieties of Alocasias and not always easy to determine the varieties especially when grown indoors. Alocasias have stiff petioles that extend into the leaf blade. The petiole connects to the leaf blade at the leaf notch. This usually results in horizontal leaf tips or leaf tips that point upward. Alocasias need soil that drains well and are prone to root rot if the conditions are too wet. Alocasias tend to have thicker leaves and the leaves can be be very glossy and shiny.
It is also possible that this could be one of the Colocasias. Colocasias connect to the leaf blade down a little bit from the leaf notch resulting in more downward pointing leaf tips. Colocasias thrive in wet soils or standing water. Colocasias tend to have thinner leaves.

I hope this helps or at least gives you something to go on.
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Plant ID

Postby CarolN » Sat May 16, 2015 8:30 am

I think it is the colocasia because when I received it, it was in a pot with rocks and very little soil, mostly water.

Thanks so much for your help!

Regards,
Carol
CarolN

Return to Tropicals & Houseplants