Oak tree fungus

Post here if you have disease problems on deciduous trees, evergreens, or ornamental trees like dogwoods or crape myrtles
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Oak tree fungus

Postby Liasings » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Does anyone have any idea if this fungus is something to be panicking about? There has been no weedeater damage to the trunk, despite the freakishly straight topline of this growth. It is in a mulched bed, but the mulch is less than an inch. The tree is a replacement for a prior 40+-year-old oak that was chopped indiscriminately by the power company, resulting in danger to the house. This oak has been in place for 10 years.
Today, I shot the fungus with the hose, and it peeled off and left the bark looking untouched. That's great, but this tree is an increasingly vital source of shade and I'm concerned that the fungus may be an outward indicator of a problem.
I included a pic of the leaves in case they contain a clue. :?:
Attachments
oak tree 3.jpg
oak tree 3.jpg (108.3 KiB) Viewed 99 times
oak tree 2.jpg
oak tree 2.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Oak tree 1.jpg
Oak tree 1.jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Liasings

Return to Trees including Evergreens and Ornamentals