Roses

Post here if groundhogs (woodchucks) or other larger critters like rabbits or skunks are wreaking havoc in your yard or garden.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Roses

Postby CarolN » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:47 am

Dutchess County, New York here.
Do groundhogs eat roses? I have a rose bed that is fenced, so I don't think deer are getting in, but something is eating my roses. They are very low to the ground because this winter killed all the canes above ground and I'm getting growth from the root. I have heirloom plants, and they are not grafted.
Thanks,
Carol
CarolN

Re: Roses

Postby lorijones » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:35 pm

If the fence is high enough and you don't think deer can get in, it could be rabbits. Rabbits can do a lot of damage to roses, especially tender young growth. Check under the plants for rabbit droppings. I have seen some websites that say groundhogs don't eat roses and some that say they do - so I'm not sure what to say about that. I have no experience with growing roses but I do know that groundhogs have devastated our vegetable garden a few times. I think we may have them fenced out at this point (fingers crossed!).
The major animal pests for roses seem to be deer and rabbits. If it is rabbits or groundhogs, depending on the type of fence you already have around your rose garden, you might try putting chicken wire around the base of the fence. It is best to bend the bottom of the chicken wire out at a right angle along the ground so they are less likely to dig under the fence. We have done this in our garden and it seems to have worked pretty well. We have also had to resort to putting wildlife netting around the garden to extend our fence up to about 8 feet to keep the deer out. They were jumping the other fence which was only about 4' tall.
Good luck!!
lorijones
Site Admin

Postby CarolN » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:34 pm

I never thought of rabbits because I have never seen one on the property. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!) I didn't see any droppings in the area of the plants. I got rid of the two groundhogs that have been around, and didn't catch anything on the game cam. Will have to see how the season progresses.

I know how devastating groundhogs can be to vegetable gardens. That's why we built "Tomato Knox". One year the groundhogs got all the cabbage and broccoli, then the squirrels ate almost all of the tomatoes. There is no top fence, but the perimeter is electrified. The roses aren't in here.
Attachments
Fence.JPG
Fence.JPG (181.72 KiB) Viewed 821 times
CarolN

Postby lorijones » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:36 pm

That is a pretty awesome fence! Let me know if the chewing stops now that the groundhogs are out of the area. I hope there aren't anymore!
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Groundhogs & Other Critters