Schedule of fall lawn care

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about fertilizing your lawn. Find advice on when to fertilize and what to use.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Schedule of fall lawn care

Postby Laverne » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 am

I live in Virginia Beach, VA. Wanted to know if I can apply grass seed to existing lawn, fertilize, insect control and weed killer all at the same time. Our summer has been very warm with little rain. We have zoyza grass on some of the yard with Bermuda grass and weeds on the remainder. Also seeing bright green moss growing in our backyard. The front yard receives north and west sun exposure. The backyard gets south and east sun exposure.
Look forward to help with our lawn.
Laverne
Laverne

Re: Schedule of fall lawn care

Postby lorijones » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:08 pm

September is one of the best times to work on your lawn! It is definitely a great time to kill existing lawn weeds, fertilize, and overseed if necessary. If you have white grubs eating your grass roots and making brown patches in the lawn, this is a good time to go after them. Here are some tips for lawn care in the early fall: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=747.
Here is a post from my Viette's Views blog that discusses moss in the lawn and ways to control it: https://viettes.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/moss-why-is-it-in-my-yard/.
Good luck! I hope we gets some much needed rain soon!
lorijones
Site Admin

Postby Laverne » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks Lori,
Appreciate the information you gave including the links to check out. Good information on both! Is there an itemized list of when to apply fertilizer, weed killer and seed? Also, the best order in which they should be used. The wait time between each application also would be helpful.
Regards,
Laverne
Laverne

Postby lorijones » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:16 pm

You should get the weeds under control first. Choose a broadleaf weed killer that is safe for use on zoysia and bermudagrass such as Bonide Weed Beater Ultra. Apply according to the label directions. The label will say when it is safe to reseed. For instance, the label on Bonide Weed Beater Ultra says that you can reseed 2 weeks after application. If dethatching or core aeration is needed, do this before you reseed. It is important that the grass seed makes good contact with the soil so you may have to use a garden rake to remove thatch and other debris. When you are ready to reseed, apply a starter fertilizer to the area first. Espoma has a good one: Espoma Organic Lawn Starter. Apply this starter fertilizer according to the label directions. Now you can seed the area with an appropriate grass seed. No need to wait between the application of fertilizer and the seeding.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Lawn Feeding