Meyer Lemon with three-lobe leaves?

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Meyer Lemon with three-lobe leaves?

Postby dennisj550 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:01 pm

HI Mark

I've been enjoying your show for years going back to Ralph's time. You've made a great replacement with very helpful directions for gardener wannabes like me. I look forward to listening every Sunday!

Now I need your wisdom on one of two "improved" Meyer lemon trees I purchased last year and repotted into 10 gallon containers.. They both overwintered inside in Zone 7b (Starkville, Mississippi). Both grew nicely this year but had prominent horizontal branches which i cut off in hopes of developing more vertical ones to support a lemon crop.
I then noticed the leaf structure was different on the fastest growing part of one of the plants. The base of this plant has two branches.
The branch on the right exhibits Meyer Lemon single lobe leaves and has not grown much this year. The other branch has grown much faster but has only these three-lobed leaves. Image
What do I have here? Is this branch the original receiver of the meyer graft? What do you suggest? HELP

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Dennis
dennisj550

Re: Meyer Lemon with three-lobe leaves?

Postby lorijones » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:57 pm

This fast growing branch is more than likely a sucker growing from the root stock. It should be removed as it will "steal" valuable nutrients from the grafted portion of the Meyer lemon. These suckers have foliage that is different from the typical citrus leaves and is often double lobed or in your case triple lobed. You would be wise to prune this branch out. In the future, it is best to pinch them off as soon as you see them developing on the trunk below the graft.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable Gardening