Potato towers--HOW???

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Potato towers--HOW???

Postby Janess » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 am

[color=#404000]Who knows how to make a potato tower with tires?? Andre spoke about this briefly, but not explicitly enough for me.[ :mrgreen: /color]
Janess

Re: Potato towers--HOW???

Postby fisher94 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:50 am

Here's a cool site that tells how to grow potatoes in stacks of tires. He talks about other garden uses for tires that are really interesting. I think I want to try some of these other ideas! http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders98.html. It might be a good idea to cover the extra tires you haven't used yet with plastic or something so they don't fill with water and become a breeding ground for mosquitoes :D !
fisher94

Postby subyz » Thu May 07, 2009 8:31 pm

If you are more concerned about aesthetics, there's a neat 'potato tower' I'm trying on lifehacker.com:

http://lifehacker.com/5202849/grow-100- ... quare-feet

If you live in the country where the neighbors wouldn't scoff at tires, it would be great to reuse them!
subyz

Postby lorijones » Fri May 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Hey, that's pretty cool, too! We are pretty secluded so it doesn't matter for us but this is a much "prettier" way to make the potato towers. Thanks for the post!!!
lorijones
Site Admin

Postby jmthomas » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 pm

I tried a potato bin this summer to good success (see my blog entries, with a photo, on this www.cvog.blogspot.com) Voles had been eating my potatoes, so I dug a trench, lined with with garden cloth (it has another name, hardware cloth? It is fencing). I built up sides of garden cloth, lined with cardboard, and began to fill up the trench and planted potatoes. I did not "hill up" enough (as the plant emerge, continue to add soil to the bin to encourage formation of tubers along the growing stem) so my yield was modest- I will hill up next year!
jmthomas

Return to Garden Design