Planting new grass over ground tree stump

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about seeding a lawn and renovating or partially renovating your lawn.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Planting new grass over ground tree stump

Postby susanmkeller » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 am

Mark,

I had a huge dead tree removed from the front lawn in Nov. 2010. I had the stump ground down and the area is about 9x9 ft. How do I go about planting new grass over this site? Do I have to dig out the sawdust and replace it with top soil ,or mix top soil with the saw dust, or even use sod? I would like your opinion.
Thanks, Sue
susanmkeller

Re: Planting new grass over ground tree stump

Postby gerrycoggin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:37 pm

You can leave the sawdust as long as the tree was not a black walnut. I would mix the sawdust with top soil (50:50 or even a higher ratio of top soil) and then reseed the grass. You could use sod if you'd like to establish the lawn faster. The presence of the ground stump can create ideal conditions for a fairy ring or other mushrooms to develop. This possibility can be reduced by maintaining moisture and regular applications of low rates of nitrogen.
gerrycoggin

Return to Lawn Seeding & Renovation